I am short of time today so I will be brief and to the point. Sunday looks like the best option for diving, and Hout Bay looks like the best location. Text or email me if you are keen to dive.
Reports are that the sevengill cowsharks at Millers Point have cautiously reappeared – I think they’ve possibly been absent since March! We look forward to verifying the reports when False Bay’s visibility is a bit cleaner.
It seems there is some south westerly wind on the horizon and the forecast says it arrives on Tuesday. Its set to stay for a few days, so next week would be a good time to use those accumulated leave days and do some diving.
The weekend does not look pearly but it is seldom as bad as the forecast. I am not able to dive on Saturday and will pin my hopes on Sunday. The wind and swell will make it a late afternoon Saturday decision and if we launch it will be out of Simon’s Town at 7.00am for a double tank dive to avoid the wind. Text or email me if you want to be on the list.
The Atlantic is warm and green, as is False Bay. The green looks cleaner in False Bay, though so thats where will head this weekend. Some wind in the forecast for Saturday means shore dives, meeting at Long Beach at 9.30 am.
Sunday: Possible launches out of OPBC in Granger Bay
We are still waiting for the non stop south easter to stop blowing, or to at least ease up. False Bay is grumpy to say the least, but the Atlantic is clean and cold, around 9 degrees celsius.
Sadly the wind does not really ease off until late on Monday so I am unable to commit to launching this weekend just yet. On Saturday afternoon we will make a final call as to whether we can dive on Sunday but it would most likely be Table Bay, most likely North and SouthPaw. If we can go to Hout Bay then we may visit the Aster and the Katsu Maru as there may be some respite from the wind inside the bay.
Sunday: Possible dives out of Hout Bay if the wind and swell give us a break!
It seems the forecaster at WindGURU found the box of purple crayons and has been liberal with them. Other than a slight lull in the wind forecast for Sunday, it’s purple all of next week too. I very much doubt we will get out on Sunday as there is currently a 4 metre swell flexing its muscles. The Atlantic water colour and temperature show signs of great visibility so if the wind is acceptable on Sunday we will launch from Hout Bay. Text, mail or Whatsapp if you want to be on the list.
Saturday: Boat or shore dives in the morning (early); night dive at Simon’s Town jetty at 7.00 pm
Its been a while since I have seen Muizenberg this clean, not that I go there all that often, but I do think we are going to have really good visibility in False Bay by Saturday and plan to start really early. At this point I have yet to decide on whether to shore dive or boat dive but will make that decision early tomorrow, so please text me your preference.
Diversnight takes place on Saturday evening. We will be diving off the jetty in Simon’s Town (note change of location), meeting at 7.00 pm. We need to be in the water at the hour of 8.16 pm (2016!) for our efforts to count towards the official Diversnight aims of, uh, night diving around the world at the same time. There’s a facebook event here, and the official event page here.
Please let me know by 5 pm tomorrow if you’re coming so that I can give the jettymaster the approximate number of divers to expect. If you need any gear, you need to tell me by tomorrow as well please.
Saturday and Sunday: To be confirmed depending on what the wind does!
The day time temperatures are getting to a point where T shorts and shirts are a common sight. Despite the odd off day the sun has been doing good work and the water temperature is nearly 17 degrees in False Bay… In most places. Lest we forget, the south easter also makes itself known again at this time of year, and this weekend is a good example.
It blows hard all day tomorrow and lets up a little for Saturday and a little more for Sunday. It is likely to be last minute call as to whether we head to Hout Bay or False Bay for the some dives. If you want to be on the list for either Saturday or Sunday get in touch and I’ll keep you posted.
Diversnight is next Saturday, 5 November! Charge your torches!
We head into summer now, and diving becomes very much all about the wind. Tomorrow’s wind favours False Bay for the weekend, and despite some real south easter yesterday the water colour is not bad at all.
Our plan is to shore dive on Saturday and boat dive on Sunday. Saturday will be an early start, 8.30 am at Long Beach. Sunday will be a jetty pick-up at 9.30 am for Atlantis and 12.00 pm for Tivoli Pinnacles.
Sunday: Early morning double tank dive, location to be confirmed
Conditions last weekend were pretty good. Not much wind or swell and decent visibility. The wind and swell for the weekend ahead look great with very little of either. False Bay, on the other hand, looks a little messy from some humping south easterly wind today.
The wind dies tomorrow and stays away for the weekend. I don’t doubt that both False Bay and the Atlantic will offer decent diving if you take the time to check before you choose. I plan to launch on Sunday as early as possible for a double tank dive somewhere clean. I have family arriving at midday from abroad and want to be done by then. If you are up for a early dive let me know and I will add you to the list.
The Shark Spotters mobile app is available – search for Shark Spotters in the Apple app store or Google Play store and download it for free!
The weather for warm, sunny diving is here – almost! As I’m sure you noticed, we had a day or two of temperatures in the high twenties which is my kind of weather. False Bay has been pleasant this week, with some visibility and not much swell to go with the sunny days. It won’t be quite that warm this weekend but conditions will definitely be worth diving.
We will shore dive at Long Beachon Saturday and launch for boat dives from the Simon’s Town jettyon Sunday. Both boat dives will be to a maximum depth of 18 metres as they will be first boat dives for a few students. Sites will be chosen on the day.