It is the time of year where we have more decent days for diving in a week than we experience during the windy summer months. This weekend looks pretty good for both days in False Bay. Not much wind or swell, and while it is doubtful this visibility will be in the double digits, it should be decent.
I will launch from Simons Town jetty at 9.00 and 11.30 am on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will be for qualified divers, and you get to choose where we go. Sunday will be mostly students’ qualifying dives so max 18 metres, suitable for Open Water divers.
Shark Spotters fundraiser
Check out the details of an upcoming Shark Spotters fundraiser here. It promises to be an inspirational and enjoyable evening.
It feels very much as though winter has arrived (minus the rain), mostly in the early mornings. When daytime temperatures rise into the twenties, it’s not totally unpleasant! Sunday is one of those days, and we will launch from Simons Town jetty at 9.30 and 12.30. Both sites will be a maximum depth of 18 metres as I have a bunch of Open Water students to qualify.
Boat dives on Saturday or Sunday, swell permitting
The weekend outlook is not that easy to call. A 4 metre, long period swell is due tomorrow. How much of it arrives and precisely when is difficult to say, as the forecasts on the more frequently used weather sites are quite different.
Hout Bay was surprisingly flat today when I went to take a look (the boat had its annual SAMSA survey today) and False Bay had far more swell than expected. For both days this weekend the wind is favourable, so it all really hangs on the swell.
I would like to launch either Saturday or Sunday but will make that decision midday tomorrow. If you’d like the option of diving, reply to this mail, sms or Whatsapp me.
Last weekend we dived in the I&J Ocean Exhibit at the Two Oceans Aquarium. It’s an experience that comes highly recommended. The picture above is of Sandy, a rescued green turtle whose shell was badly damaged by a boat propellor, looking at her reflection in my camera lens.
Sunday: Boat dives from Simon’s Town jetty at 10.00 and 12.00, likely to Roman Rock (suitable for Open Water divers)
The weekend looks good for diving. We’ll be boat diving on Sunday. If you want to join us, you know what to do!
It’s that time of year when turtle hatchlings get caught up in currents that bring them to Western Cape shores, where it’s too cold for them to survive. If you find one on the beach, please keep it dry and warm, and get it to the Two Oceans Aquarium as soon as possible. Read more about what to do on the aquarium blog here, and here.
Sunday and Monday: Boat dives (location to be decided)
Last weekend we did some boating in Table Bay as a support boat for the Robben Island to Big Bay Freedom Swim. The remnants of the swell on Thursday and Friday was enough to give the swimmers a sizeable challenge with strong currents, choppy surface conditions and very cold patches of water.
The swell climbed from under 2 metres to a little over 5 metres this morning. This means diving tomorrow is pretty much out, as is diving on Saturday (thanks also to the Two Oceans Marathon). The swell drops off during the day on Saturday so both Sunday and Monday should deliver some reasonable diving conditions.
It is difficult to say whether Hout Bay or False Bay would be better on Sunday and Monday, but I will make that decision late on Saturday afternoon. I have Open Water and Advanced Open Water students so one day is likely to include a deep dive to more than 18 metres.
If you are keen to dive on Sunday or Monday, let me know and I’ll schedule you in!
Saturday & Sunday: early launches in False Bay, conditions permitting
Visibility in both the Atlantic and False Bay is very patchy today. We dived in False Bay yesterday and had a very dirty top layer, with cleaner and colder water below 10 metres. There is north westerly wind tomorrow and a little rain. There is a 50/50 chance we have cleaner conditions for the weekend.
I would like to launch both days in False Bay if the conditions permit. Let me know if you’re keen to be on board.
Sunday: Boat dives (max depth 18 metres) from Hout Bay
The weekend forecast is pretty much a copy of last weekend, and the one before. Saturday has strong south easterly wind and some swell, and Sunday is almost windless with a swell of less than 2 metres. This all points to Hout Bay as being the best option.
So Hout Bay it is, meeting on Sunday at 8.30 on the slipway. Both dives will be to a maximum depth of 18 metres, so suitable for Open Water divers. Let me know if you want to come diving.
Don’t forget Earth Hour on Saturday, from 8.30-9.30 pm in whatever your local timezone is… Have a candlelight dinner and contemplate how you can be a better steward of the earth’s resources. This year’s focus is climate change. Want to learn more about it? We recommend this book by a team of South African scientists.
Last weekend we had boat dives out of Hout Bay, to two of the lesser dived sites (the Sentinel and Die Josie). Maori Bay was very green but we found lovely visibility right up against the mountains.
The water in False Bay is very clean and cold right now. Sadly, the wind for Saturday is at the limit of what I think will be pleasant. Sunday’s wind will be way too strong. Furthermore, the Navy Festival this weekend spells traffic chaos as well as parking issues for boat trailers and tow cars.
These reasons induce me to skip diving over the weekend and plan boat dives for Tuesday, which is a public holiday. The Atlantic will again be cool, flat and clean so we will launch from Hout Bay, nice and early. Text or Whatsapp me if you want to be updated on meeting times and dive sites.
Last weekend’s dives were pretty good; the visibility was better further south on Sunday. On Saturday we met an octopus at Long Beach, who tried very hard to persuade us he was a piece of kelp.
This week has had a fair whack of wind on and off, and False Bay currently looks pretty grumpy with very little sign of visibility. Hout Bay also looked a little off this morning, but the wind should have improved that.
I will stick my neck out and say we will launch on Saturday, and it needs to be really early as the wind picks up around midday.
Where we will need to wait for a visual check late tomorrow to decide which side of the mountain we will dive. I don’t think the conditions will be great for training dives and we may end up in the cold Atlantic. Either way we meet at 7.30 am at either Hout Bay slipway or False Bay Yacht Club parking in Simons Town. Text me if you want to join in.
It is certainly going to be the best weekend in a while, as far as diving goes. There has not been too much of that recently! There are light winds and a 3 metre swell, but it is a westerly swell so I don’t think it will affect False Bay too much.