The on and off westerly and south easterly winds made life difficult for the fire fighters fighting a blaze in Simon’s Town yesterday. When you see the extent of the burn you realise they have tough decisions to make and are constantly risking their lives. This makes it hard for me to complain about not knowing where to dive… It seems irrelevant in light of what they do as a day job!
We will launch for boat dives on Sunday, most likely in False Bay from Simon’s Town jetty. We will start early, meeting at 7.30 am. Let me know if you want to dive.
The new year has certainly started off windily. (Happy new year, by the way!) Despite this, diving has been possible occasionally if you don’t mind hitting the water really early. The coming weekend is no exception.
The weekend is set to blow again, but both Saturday and Sunday morning offer an early weather window with lot less wind, and that will be the best time to dive… in my opinion. We’ll confirm Saturday’s dives by 6 pm on Friday evening after I look at the sea, because it is forecast to be quite swelly.
Hout Bay slipway will be the meeting place on both days, and 7.00 am will be approximately the time we set off so you will need to be there by 6.30 am. Message me if you want to be on the list.
The Christmas weekend has arrived and our gifts this year include some good visibility and a the cowsharks being back at Millers Point. We hope to launch tomorrow, if the wind and rain are a bit milder than the forecast, and again on Saturday.
Then it is eating and napping time for a day or two, and we will plan to dive again on Tuesday, most likely in the Atlantic. If you’d like to do some festive season diving during the next week or so, let me know.
We would like to wish you all a good end of year rest, and merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it. Thanks for the support and friendship, and we look forward to a diving-filled 2017.
We seem set for a week of pleasant conditions. That rates as a good early Christmas present in my book. On Saturday and Sunday we will launch from Simon’s Town early to finish a few Advanced and Nitrox courses.
On Monday we will do shore dives to continue with Open Water courses, and the rest of the week will be for fun diving. Let me know where you want to go and when you’re free, and I will see if we can make it happen.
Stuck for Christmas presents? Check out our 2015 gift guide. It’s still pretty fresh, but to it I would add Into a Raging Sea, by Andrew Ingram and Tony Weaver, commemorating 50 years of the NSRI. Available at all good bookshops!
I am short of time today so I will be brief and to the point. Sunday looks like the best option for diving, and Hout Bay looks like the best location. Text or email me if you are keen to dive.
Reports are that the sevengill cowsharks at Millers Point have cautiously reappeared – I think they’ve possibly been absent since March! We look forward to verifying the reports when False Bay’s visibility is a bit cleaner.
It seems there is some south westerly wind on the horizon and the forecast says it arrives on Tuesday. Its set to stay for a few days, so next week would be a good time to use those accumulated leave days and do some diving.
The weekend does not look pearly but it is seldom as bad as the forecast. I am not able to dive on Saturday and will pin my hopes on Sunday. The wind and swell will make it a late afternoon Saturday decision and if we launch it will be out of Simon’s Town at 7.00am for a double tank dive to avoid the wind. Text or email me if you want to be on the list.
The Atlantic is warm and green, as is False Bay. The green looks cleaner in False Bay, though so thats where will head this weekend. Some wind in the forecast for Saturday means shore dives, meeting at Long Beach at 9.30 am.
Sunday: Possible launches out of OPBC in Granger Bay
We are still waiting for the non stop south easter to stop blowing, or to at least ease up. False Bay is grumpy to say the least, but the Atlantic is clean and cold, around 9 degrees celsius.
Sadly the wind does not really ease off until late on Monday so I am unable to commit to launching this weekend just yet. On Saturday afternoon we will make a final call as to whether we can dive on Sunday but it would most likely be Table Bay, most likely North and SouthPaw. If we can go to Hout Bay then we may visit the Aster and the Katsu Maru as there may be some respite from the wind inside the bay.
Sunday: Possible dives out of Hout Bay if the wind and swell give us a break!
It seems the forecaster at WindGURU found the box of purple crayons and has been liberal with them. Other than a slight lull in the wind forecast for Sunday, it’s purple all of next week too. I very much doubt we will get out on Sunday as there is currently a 4 metre swell flexing its muscles. The Atlantic water colour and temperature show signs of great visibility so if the wind is acceptable on Sunday we will launch from Hout Bay. Text, mail or Whatsapp if you want to be on the list.
Saturday: Boat or shore dives in the morning (early); night dive at Simon’s Town jetty at 7.00 pm
Its been a while since I have seen Muizenberg this clean, not that I go there all that often, but I do think we are going to have really good visibility in False Bay by Saturday and plan to start really early. At this point I have yet to decide on whether to shore dive or boat dive but will make that decision early tomorrow, so please text me your preference.
Diversnight takes place on Saturday evening. We will be diving off the jetty in Simon’s Town (note change of location), meeting at 7.00 pm. We need to be in the water at the hour of 8.16 pm (2016!) for our efforts to count towards the official Diversnight aims of, uh, night diving around the world at the same time. There’s a facebook event here, and the official event page here.
Please let me know by 5 pm tomorrow if you’re coming so that I can give the jettymaster the approximate number of divers to expect. If you need any gear, you need to tell me by tomorrow as well please.