Last weekend we had boat dives out of Hout Bay, to two of the lesser dived sites (the Sentinel and Die Josie). Maori Bay was very green but we found lovely visibility right up against the mountains.
The water in False Bay is very clean and cold right now. Sadly, the wind for Saturday is at the limit of what I think will be pleasant. Sunday’s wind will be way too strong. Furthermore, the Navy Festival this weekend spells traffic chaos as well as parking issues for boat trailers and tow cars.
These reasons induce me to skip diving over the weekend and plan boat dives for Tuesday, which is a public holiday. The Atlantic will again be cool, flat and clean so we will launch from Hout Bay, nice and early. Text or Whatsapp me if you want to be updated on meeting times and dive sites.
Last weekend’s dives were pretty good; the visibility was better further south on Sunday. On Saturday we met an octopus at Long Beach, who tried very hard to persuade us he was a piece of kelp.
This week has had a fair whack of wind on and off, and False Bay currently looks pretty grumpy with very little sign of visibility. Hout Bay also looked a little off this morning, but the wind should have improved that.
I will stick my neck out and say we will launch on Saturday, and it needs to be really early as the wind picks up around midday.
Where we will need to wait for a visual check late tomorrow to decide which side of the mountain we will dive. I don’t think the conditions will be great for training dives and we may end up in the cold Atlantic. Either way we meet at 7.30 am at either Hout Bay slipway or False Bay Yacht Club parking in Simons Town. Text me if you want to join in.
It is certainly going to be the best weekend in a while, as far as diving goes. There has not been too much of that recently! There are light winds and a 3 metre swell, but it is a westerly swell so I don’t think it will affect False Bay too much.
The weather forecast for the weekend is wind, wind and more wind. Not diving weather, unfortunately. Later sunrises, earlier sunsets and the slow decrease in the number of windy days suggests that lovely autumn diving is around the corner. Hopefully we won’t all be too dried out by then!
A magic wand would be the right tool to fix the weather. The wind has been relentless and despite odd periods of calm, mostly early in the mornings, there has been reasonably good visibility in between the patches of red tide.
Sadly this weekend is again going to be dry as the window of light wind is really small early on Saturday, and then it howls again until Tuesday. Wednesday and onwards next week do look like good diving days so if you are up for a weekday dive get in touch.
It is anyone’s guess where the water will be cleaner this weekend, False Bay or Hout Bay. There is a lot of red tide in False Bay and many patches of dirty water visible from the top of Chapmans Peak.
I think Sunday will be the better day for diving, and most likely False Bay will be the better place to be. I will launch from the Simon’s Town jetty at 9.00 am for Atlantis and 11.30 am for the wreck of SAS Pietermaritzburg. If the Atlantic pans out instead, we will dive the wrecks of the Maori and the BOS 400from Hout Bay. Let me know if you’re keen.
The weekend forecast looks mostly like it is going to be a cool – or rather cold – water dive weekend. There is a fair amount of swell on Saturday, too much for my liking. Sunday has less swell and a little less wind. Hout Bay will most likely be the best option as the wind is fairly strong south easterly which is not all that pleasant in False Bay.
The on and off westerly and south easterly winds made life difficult for the fire fighters fighting a blaze in Simon’s Town yesterday. When you see the extent of the burn you realise they have tough decisions to make and are constantly risking their lives. This makes it hard for me to complain about not knowing where to dive… It seems irrelevant in light of what they do as a day job!
We will launch for boat dives on Sunday, most likely in False Bay from Simon’s Town jetty. We will start early, meeting at 7.30 am. Let me know if you want to dive.
The new year has certainly started off windily. (Happy new year, by the way!) Despite this, diving has been possible occasionally if you don’t mind hitting the water really early. The coming weekend is no exception.
The weekend is set to blow again, but both Saturday and Sunday morning offer an early weather window with lot less wind, and that will be the best time to dive… in my opinion. We’ll confirm Saturday’s dives by 6 pm on Friday evening after I look at the sea, because it is forecast to be quite swelly.
Hout Bay slipway will be the meeting place on both days, and 7.00 am will be approximately the time we set off so you will need to be there by 6.30 am. Message me if you want to be on the list.